' ' Cinema Romantico: Symmetry Strikes Again!

Monday, January 12, 2009

Symmetry Strikes Again!

So I turned on the festive Golden Globes, so often a forecast of what to expect come Academy Award time, last night and because they are, obviously, the Golden Globes and not the Oscars there is no song & dance to open the whole deal and they get straight to the good stuff. I mean, straight to it. About nine seconds after it started, before I'd even settled down before the TV with my dinner (like any good American), they were already announcing the award for Best Supporting Actress in a motion picture.

The winner? That's right, bitches, Kate Winslet for "The Reader" (a performance I'll be discussing again later this week, but never mind). What a way to start the telecast! Kate, who is so often snubbed for awards, finally wins one! And before I'd even taken a bite of my food I wondered, Where do they go from here? Why even watch anymore? What's the point? How do you top this? Kate Winslet, my favorite actress, at long last has just become the front runner for an Oscar. I'm so happy. This is as good as it gets.

Oh, but my recent string of symmetry continued for who should win the very next award (without commercial break, mind you) for Best Original Song in a motion picture but....yes! Bruce Springsteen for the title track to "The Wrestler".

They shared the stage only moments apart. It couldn't have possibly been more sweet. Perhaps Sienna Miller presenting both awards while chain-smoking would have enhanced the situation but it wouldn't have made it any better. It was the ultimate one-up. My favorite actress segueing to my idol.

And once again I ask, atheists, what more proof do you need?

No comments: