' ' Cinema Romantico: Friday's Old Fashioned Flashes Back To The Eighties

Thursday, July 31, 2014

Friday's Old Fashioned Flashes Back To The Eighties

It's everyone's favorite time of year! By which I mean, it's my least favorite time of year. By which I mean, the dog days of August (ugh) combine with the countdown to my dreaded another-year-has-passed-and-I-have-done-nothing-with-my-life-and-it's-all-meaningless birthday at the dawn of September. And so I find myself, as I do every year at this time, nostalgically and cinematically returning to the decade of my youth – The 80’s. Which is why this year once again Cinema Romantico’s “famed” Friday’s Old Fashioned column - the only classic film column on the internet named after bourbon, bitters, sugar, orange, and maraschino cherry - is going straight 80’s. Hawks gets traded in for Hughes. Jean Harlow takes a momentary respite to allow face time for Jean(ie) Bueller. Harold Lloyd cedes the stage to Lloyd Dobler.

Four of the five films this coming month are new to me and one was a re-watch spurred by an episode of the Matineecast that involved “Raiders of the Lost Ark”, though that's the only clue you're getting. And of course, I must stress the selections are not always, shall we say, “quintessential”. Either way, I hope you don’t hold it against me. So strike up the New Order, crack a Capri Sun and climb into my blogging DeLorean.



No comments: